Start Time: 7:30 a.m. for Runners and Walkers
Location: Start and Finish are at Corner of E. Cedar St. and S. Jefferson Ave.
Awards: 8:30 a.m., Main Stage, El Dorado Conference Center-East Entrance, 300 South West Ave.
SouthArk Outdoor Expo
Leslie Darden Hero 5k Run/Walk
RUN FOR THE HEROES
Real heroes, ordinary people, extraordinary courage.
The SouthArk Outdoor Expo will once again host the Hero 5k Run/Walk. Runners and walkers of all ages, abilities, and experience levels are encouraged to come out and participate.
This race is in honor of Leslie Darden, hero & inspiration to so many in the race world. She pushed people to be the best they could be through her steadfast encouragement, uplifting cheers, and empowering guidance! Leslie was an alumna at SouthArk and worked in the healthcare industry for 12 years at SAMA. Her SAMA family is so proud to be able to honor Leslie’s life and the legacy she left behind. Her family, friends, and our community are better for having her in our lives.
The Hero 5k Run/Walk grew some years ago in memory of Major Ronald Wayne Culver, who died in Iraq on May 24th, 2010. He served multiple combat deployments throughout his military career and served on countless programs and organizations in our local community. He was a true American hero who courageously sacrificed his life for our country.
We also commemorate all military personnel, first responders, and our healthcare heroes. We wish to raise awareness of the sacrifices made daily by these heroes and to unite in their honor. The community is invited to recognize our hometown heroes and those who have served in the military while paying tribute to the heroes of today working on our frontlines.
Join us at the Leslie Darden Hero 5k Run/Walk as we celebrate her courageous spirit and outstanding contributions to our community.
Date - Saturday, September 9, 2023
Location – South Arkansas Community College – El Dorado Conference and Student Center
El Dorado, Arkansas
Friday, September 8, 2023, 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. & 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. - Day Prior to Race Day
• Packet Pickup – El Dorado Conference Center, Enter West Foyer at 300 South West Ave., in front of Murphy Hall
Saturday, September 9, 2023 – Race Day
• 6:15-7:15 a.m. Race day registration and packet will be available @ start location
• 7:30 a.m. Start time @ the corner of E. Cedar St. and S. Jefferson Ave.
• 8:30 a.m. Award Ceremony @ the Main Stage
How to Register
By Mail: Send completed form and check payable to SouthArk Foundation, P.O. Box 7010, El Dorado, AR 71731
In-Person: South Arkansas Community College, 300 South West Avenue
SouthArk Foundation Office, Administration Building, 2nd floor, Suite 209
Printable Form: Click Here
• Pre-registration by Wednesday, August 31, is $30, 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
• Registration after Wednesday, August 31, is $35.
• Runner Divisions: 70+,60-69, 55-59, 50-54, 45-49, 40-44, 35-39, 30-34, 25-29, 20-24, 15-19, 10-14, 0-9
We now have a Walker's Division! All walkers, regardless of age and gender, are considered one division
• Must register by Friday, September 1, to guarantee a race shirt. Sizes Available: XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL
• Friday, September 8, 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. - El Dorado Conference Center, Enter West Foyer at 300 South West Ave., in front of Murphy Hall, or on Saturday, September 9, @ start location
• Start at Corner of E. Cedar St. and S. Jefferson Ave. – Proceed North on S. Jefferson Ave. – Turn left onto Griffith St. – Turn left onto Mall parking lot/access road – Turn left onto E. 13th St. – Turn right onto N. Jefferson Ave. – Finish at E. Cedar St. and S. Jefferson Ave.
Course Map (online)
Course Map (print/photo)
• $100 cash prize and award to first place overall male and female
• First place overall male and female will not receive age division awards
• Awards will be given to the top 3 finishers in each age and gender division
• All registered runners will receive a swag bag including a commemorative performance t-shirt, official race bib, athletic race goodies, and more!
Inclement Weather Policy
The race will go on regardless of precipitation. In the event that weather conditions present an imminent danger to participants, the race will be canceled. No refunds will be given.
• Due to reasons beyond our control, it may become necessary to change some of the event locations, start times, etc. Please visit the race website periodically to check for any updates: www.southarkexpo.com