Student Art Contest in Commemoration of Our Heroes
Real heroes, ordinary people, extraordinary courage. All gave some…some gave all.
As part of our 23rd SouthArk Outdoor Expo, we are hosting a Student Art Contest. The contest is open to K-12 students from Union County Schools. All entries will be displayed at the Outdoor Expo on Saturday, September 10, 2022, in the El Dorado Conference Center (indoors).
Theme: Students are encouraged to use critical thinking skills in their works of art to address the question “Who is My Hero?” Each student’s work must somehow incorporate a creative acknowledgment of their “hero” (male or female) who they view as being courageous. This could be military personnel, first responders, health professionals, or their own family member or personal friend who they view as a “hero.”
- Medium: chalk, pencil, charcoal, pastels, watercolor, papier mache, batik, or cut-outs.
- Size: no larger than 11x14.
- Who qualifies to enter: grade groups (K-4, 5-6, 7-8, and 9-12).
- Mounting: Artwork must be mounted so that it supports itself. Teacher is responsible for ensuring that all artwork is mounted properly (ex.: poster board, matboard, etc.)
- No group art projects will be eligible.
Submission of Entries:
- Where to Submit: SouthArk Foundation, 300 South West Avenue, Thomas Administration Building, El Dorado, Suite 209. Park at the plaza/water fountain parking lot off W. Block Street.
- Deadline: Tuesday, September 6 or Wednesday, September 7 during the hours of 3:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
Judging: Entries will be judged based on the following:
- Does the artist address the contest’s theme clearly?
- Is the theme presented in an original, unique way?
- Does the piece incorporate their perception of a “hero”?
- Does the piece express creativity and individuality? Does it stand out as distinctive?
Prizes: Each student winner will receive a cash award.
Each art teacher whose class sends submissions receives $100 in cash.
Grades: K-4, 5-6, 7-8, and 9-12
Best of Show - $100
(All entrants are eligible)
First Place - $75
(One first place cash prize given in each grade category)
Second Place - $50
(One second place cash prize given in each grade category)
Third Place - $25
(One third place cash prize given in each grade category)
Location of Art Exhibit:
- The exhibit will be located on Saturday, September 10, at the El Dorado Conference Center, from 9:00 m. until 3:00 p.m., in the south foyer.
- Winners will receive a ribbon and a cash prize. A cash prize of $100 will be given to each art teacher whose class sends submissions. Winners will be announced on the SouthArk Foundation Facebook page, /southarkfoundation.
- Entry in the contest signifies agreement with the rules and conditions of the contest and
Picking Up Artwork:
- Artwork should be picked up at the artwork exhibit between 3:00 and 3:30 p.m., on the first floor, south foyer of the El Dorado Conference Center on the day of the exhibit, or at the SouthArk Foundation office after Monday, September 12, 2022. Artwork not picked by Wednesday, September 14, 2022, becomes the property of the Outdoor
- All entries are subject to acceptance by the Outdoor Expo Student Art Contest Committee. All decisions by the judge or the Outdoor Expo Student Art Committee are final and are not subject to appeal.
- Art entries will be entered and accepted into the contest and exhibit will be displayed during the Outdoor All reasonable care will be exercised to prevent damage or loss of artwork. However, the Outdoor Expo, their employees, sponsors, or affiliates will not assume any responsibility or liability for damage or loss of entries.
Entry in this contest represents consent to use the artwork in future publications without further compensation.